Tuesday, June 9, 2009

London for the Day

London for the Day

On Saturday I wanted to go to London. So I did. I love that.
Dainia,Andrea and I got on the Oxford Tube and for 10 pounds got a round trip ticket good for 24 hours (that's cheaper than Bellmore to NYC).


We didn't have any definitive plans except to meet up with our roommate Mary and her parents for a show at night. We walked around a bit, stopped by Buckingham palace to holla at the Queen


Then Dainia and I went to the national gallery (it was free!) while Andrea met Mary on Oxford Street.

I tried to take a picture at the national gallery but the flash went off and I got in trouble, here's what I got...

On our way to Oxford street we passed the Queen's calvary museum and saw real live (well behaved) horses! We took pictures and gawked for a while but then continued walking. We passed Gordon Brown's pad at Number 10, Downing Street then hopped on the tube to Oxford Street.


On Oxford Street we wandered into the Primark headquarters (If Walmart's clothing section had a baby with Target, and then had a sale, that's what Primark is...super cheap trendy clothes) and met up with Mary and her folks.
After a bit of miscommunication it turned out Mary never told her parents I was coming so they made reservations and bought tickets for 4 (Mary,Andrea and Mr. and Mrs. B) Needless to say I started crying and threw a big hissy fit in the store...no just kidding. I was a little upset that they were going to see SISTER ACT the musical but I got over it. I've seen plenty of theater since I've been here. How much theater you ask? Let's have a look...

-Billy Elliot: West End Production
-Much Ado About Nothing:Oxford Student Production
-Alls Well That Ends Well:Oxford Student Production
-Romeo and Juliet: Globe Theater
-Waiting for Godot: West End Production
-Tick,Tick,Boom: Oxford Student Production
-The Tempest:Oxford Student Production

7 productions in 7 weeks! Holy Theater Major! And of course I will try to see Sister Act before I leave. . .

Also I want to buy a type writer...just in case the computer turns everyone into zombies. Oh wait it already did. And I just want to sit at my typewriter and write classy thank you notes.
Sorry for that rant, my tutor and I were talking about typewriters and he let me try his out.

That's all for now. I'm going to Amsterdam next Monday.

1 comment:

  1. My parents got my sister and I typewriters for Hannukah when we were little, and we used to put them on top of overturned laundry baskets and play office.

    P.S. When Stephen Sondheim wrote a letter to Geva, he wrote it on a typewriter! You know how I could tell? The ink was "mirrored" on the top of the folded card. How cool is that??

    ReplyDelete

Leave Andrea A Message!